Thursday 25 July 2013

Research and how the craft kits began

When launching the craft kits both for adult of children I have always done research first. 

Back In the beginning, I spent a good long time looking at both locally and nationally at the gaps in the craft market and what would be possible to achieve. I trained as a designer as this training allowed me to look objectively at every angle, at the positive and the negative, the good idea from the bad and develop something unique.

I surveyed customers and parents asking what sort of craft kits they would like.
Very quickly the answers that were coming back were, they didn't want the 'quick fix' kits that offered the promise of "keeping the kids quiet" they wanted something that their children would learn a skill, a kit that offered value for money, and something they could do it with them-promoting communication skills.
 

With this gap in the market and the 'quick fix' kits being 10-a-penny, I began developing something that would teach a skill, so that children and adults would be able to use in other projects but also offered quality and value for money.

I was keen not to develop something that contained pre-printed sheets for colouring, they not only didn't stretch the children & doesn't give anything developmentally but don't allow children and adult to  develop on them selves, with their own individuality and flair.
Having done extensive training over the last 10 years in child development, I was able to use those skills in producing something that would stand the test of time as well as the discerning eye of parent. 

Drawn Threads most popular kits are the mice, pin cushion and vintage apron (mums love to make these!) and they offer all that parents wanted and as such I have many returning customer, many new customers from recommendations and reviews that I'm very proud of and shows a proof positive that what I'm doing....I'm doing right. 
And I'm very pleased to say-its not just for the good of the business, it's for the good of a quality product that kids and adults will take away with them.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment