Wednesday 11 July 2012

A vintage day, a decision day too!

After taking a day off, spending it with my lovely husband and having lunch together, we ended up in a vintage charity shop.
I just love it as it has both mundane and quirky items from yester-year. My eyes zoomed in on a beautiful 1950's counter pain for a double bed in a beautiful pink design and the label did tell me to by it as it is filled with Terylene and is 'The last word in
luxury'! I had been looking out for one of theses or a long while and seeing as it is very chilly at the moment, it will be snuggly at bed time.
I also found some wonderful original 1960's fabric. It's such good quality as was normal for the time but I have yet decided what to make with it.

After reading about a couple who made a decision to partake in a year of sustainable living as an experiment, we too thought we would give it a go.
This isn't as quirky and new age as some might think but more about not waisting the resources we have to hand, sharing with others any unwanted things we own and not buying stuff just for the sake of it.
I have always enjoyed buying items from a charity shop, second hand shop or accepting something from someone as they had their own history to tell but feel now more so than ever. There are more than enough resources out there to go round.
I'm not thinking this will be easy, as we all see things we feel we MUST have or need but for me it is about understanding our lives better and appreciating what we have as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment