Saturday 26 January 2013

Blogging and some pointers to get it right


I have been blogging for a number of years, this is my second blog and I have another I keep purely for my personal use. My family and friends follow it as its sometimes difficult for us to get together, living in different parts of the country and its nice to keep in touch-this is my business blog for -Drawn Threads-and all that transpires in my life as a crafter!
I also read many different blogs and have had many a conversation with other bloggers over what makes a 'good blog'.
Hopefully some of these pointers will be of some interest to you.

*The first rule of blogging is to think of to whom you are blogging to- 'your audience' if you will and why they have come to your blog.
If you are a crafter like me, I read craft blogs about the same subjects that I like and many are in business-small or large and comment on subjects I am working on and will give suggestions and ask questions.

*Blogging about interesting things is a must!
Following current trends in the subject you like can help with this and if you have a particular skill, there will be people out there that will love to read about just how you go about your 'skill'.

*Dont keep saying you are busy and have 'so much on'. This will annoy blog readers, they too have a very busy life with work, kids, shopping at the supermarket, in between the plumber coming.When they read blogs, they want it to take them out of their daily lives and in to a world where they can relax and enjoy some well earned 'me' time, they don't need to be reminded that life can be busy, busy, busy.
It's never advisable to blog that you haven't had five minutes to your self and you are so busy. Even the big business entrepreneurs take a day off and would likely spend the weekend with their families.

*NEVER blog about an argument with you partner-spouse.
It is very important to you, but not at all what blog readers want to spend their time entertaining them selves with-thats what they have the 'soaps' for.
This should be left or a personal blog, and not a business blog and personaly to me shows, if there is chaos in their life, their business may be chaotic too and doesn't give that professional image that every business needs to project to survive.

*Lastly-enjoy blogging. If it becomes a chore, it will show. I read many blogs and most don't update their blog daily. Some only add photo in what they call wordless Wednesdays.
I love this-it reflects the bloggers mood and lifestyle and transports you in to a different world for a while.
Some of the blogs I read and love:-
Vicky Trainor-Local crafter & business woman
http://vickytrainor.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Haidee-Jo Summers-an old school friend and painter
http://www.haideejo.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Sharon, her dog Buzz and artist partner Glock.
http://grannysbuttonbox.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

There are many more I love to read over a cup of tea-and I'm sure you too have your favourites. I would love to hear what they are and look forward to you sharing you own blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment